Dr. Kanellos Klamaris
Kanellos brings to his practice international legal experience, supported by a strong academic background. As a result, he is well situated to advise clients on the legal complexities and intricate considerations and issues of the Greek and EU company law landscape. He has expert knowledge in many areas of corporate law, corporate governance, M&A, capital markets and securities, CSR (Corporate Social Responsibility), banking, financial, insurance and contract law.
Kanellos advises a broad range of clients including banks, rating agencies, domestic and multinational corporations, institutional investors, and other regulated entities. He regularly advises on aspects of corporate law impacting shareholders and directors including but not limited to M&A, shareholder agreements, corporate governance, shareholder and Board of Directors meetings, business agreements with cross-border elements, and consolidation issues.
Kanellos also has experience in advising banks and other lenders and regulated entities on debt financing, share-pledging, securitization of NPLs, and digital on boarding and payment services.
Kanellos began his career in Düsseldorf, Germany where he worked as a legal assistant at Linklaters LLP advising international and German clients on issues related to German and European company law and M&A.
Sector - Industries
- Financial Services
- State Owned Entities
- Information Technologies
- Manufacturing and Industrials
- Athens Bar 2015
- Admitted to practice before All Courts of Second Instance, 2021
- New York University (NYU), LL.M. (Dean’s Award, Onassis Scholar), 2018
- Universität zu Köln, Dr. jur. (summa cum laude, DAAD-German Academic Exchange Service Scholar), 2016
- Universität zu Köln, LL.M. (German Civil and Commercial Law, First class honors, summa cum laude, Onassis Scholar), 2013
- National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, LL.B. (First class honors, Honorary awards by the Greek Foundation of State Scholarships for the academic years 2007-2008, 2008-2009 and 2009-2010), 2011
- M&A lecture, 2021 LLM program of the International Hellenic University (IHU) Greece
Appointments and Professional Memberships
- Hellenic European Law Association (FIDE-Greece)
- Hellenic Scholars’ Association of Commercial and Business Law
- Association of Greek Commercialists
- Gesellschaftsrechtliche Vereinigung (German Corporate Law Association)
- Deutscher Juristentag (Association of German Jurists)
- NYU Alumni Association
- The ratification of voidable resolutions of the shareholders’ meeting (Doctoral thesis, in German) (Original title in German: Die Bestätigung anfechtbarer Hauptversammlungsbeschlüsse), Nomos Verlag, 2018, pp. 1-566 (printed with the full support of the VG WORT) (reviewed by Professor Dr. Dres. h.c. Harm Peter Westermann, in: ZHR 2021, 923-925)
- Thoughts on shareholders’ fiduciary duties in the face of decision 432/2016 of the Supreme Civil and Criminal Court of Greece (Areios Pagos), in: Chronicles of Private Law (ChrID) 2020, pp. 145-153 (in Greek)
- The methods of shareholdings’ protection according to the Greek Law on company transformations (Law 4601/2019), in: Chronicles of Private Law (ChrID) 2022, pp. 181-195 (in Greek)
- Co-author of the only commentary/handbook on the Greek Law on company transformations (Law 4601/2019, the Greek M&A Law), in: G. Sotiropoulos (ed.), Law 4601/2019, Nomiki Vivliothiki, 2021 (in Greek)
- Co-author of the only commentary/handbook on the Greek Law on corporate governance (Law 4706/2020), in: V. Tountopoulos (ed.), Law 4706/2020, Nomiki Vivliothiki, 2022 (in Greek)
- Annotation to decision 2758/2018 of the Court of Appeals of Athens, in: Business and Company Law (DEE) 2020, pp. 72-76 (on the shareholders’ right to demand from the court the appointment of special auditors) (in Greek)
- Annotation to decision 549/2016 of the Court of Appeals of Thessaloniki, in: Commercial Law Review (EEmpD) 2017, pp. 94-102 (on non-existent resolutions of the board of directors and the shareholders’ meeting taken by way of drawing up and signing the minutes without a meeting having taken place) (in Greek)
- Co-author of the only Greek commentary/handbook on the Market Abuse Regulation (EU Regulation 596/2014) (publication pending)